[Harp-L] VIDEO--Gregoire Maret with Herbie Hancock KKL Luzern 3.11.2008 - YouTube

i don't know.....it must be me....i must be getting old.....I just do not understand this sonic "dissonance" and apparent disregard for melody.  There is technique that could be considered a "new sound" yet is it musical? Certainly herbie and pat metheny could not be wrong in utitlizing him......or is it a case of the emperor's new clothing?  Then again many great masters were not quite understood when they first came out...and history has proved the nay sayers wrong.

I love coltrane, monk, and other far outside players. But this player confounds me.

Are there any objective standards I can apply here? Do you love it? Does it speak to you and fill your soul?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az_WSkKM5CU&sns=em