Re: [Harp-L] VIDEO--Gregoire Maret with Herbie Hancock KKL Luzern 3.11.2008 - YouTube

Gregoire has proven (to me, at least) time and again that he plays from the heart, has great technique, and that he is constantly exploring new pathways in harmonica jazz.

Randy, I wish you could have seen the concert he did in San Francisco a while back where he was a last-minute sub for Toots. He played unrehearsed with Toots' band (in this case it was Kenny Werner, Oscar Castro Neves, and Airto), playing mostly Toots' repertoire. Not only did he play brilliantly and beautifully for the entire evening, it really had the feel of a loving tribute to Toots without sounding like an imitation. I think this might have warmed you up to him... maybe ;-).

I am so delighted that he is applying his great gifts to our instrument. Through him, and other upcoming super talents (there are quite a few now) the chromatic harmonica will indeed live on in jazz beyond Toots and Stevie.

I'm not sure I can answer your question about objective standards, but do I love it, yes, and does it speak to me and fill my soul, yes indeed!

I also highly recommend his new self-titled CD. It features some wonderful guests, including Toots.

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com