[Harp-L] How We Can Save the Chromatic Harmonica from Possible Extinction

Here is a letter i am posting that one of my harmonica students wrote. I think it is an intriguing concept, though I have not had a chance to fully analyze it.

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Phillip L. Miller" <pemiller86@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: October 3, 2005 5:16:49 AM EDT
To: "randy singer" <randy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: An Article Written by J. Elaine Miller

             How We Can Save the Chromatic Harmonica from Possible Extinction
      (This article was written by my wife, J. Elaine Miller, who is a chromatic player)

   As most of us know, the diatonic harmonica is gaining in popularity over the chromatic harmonica and is threatening its very existence.  Some of the obvious reasons for this are, 1) The diatonic harmonica is easier to play and 2) the chromatic harmonica is much more expensive to purchase.  There is a third reason, that is less obvious, and that is that the two instruments share the same name, harmonica.  This implies that the two instruments are similar, but for those of use who play the chromatic harmonic, we realize that there is a world of difference between the two instruments.  It is for this reason, that I am suggesting that the two instruments should not share the same name.

    The name harmonica implies a similarity between the two instruments that does not exist.  The average non-harmonica player does not know the different between these two instruments and thinks that they are one of the same.  I feel that sharing the name, harmonica, between these two instruments is contributing to a lack of knowledge about the chromatic instrument is an unseen factor in the decline in popularity of the chromatic harmonica.

   In contrast, the keyboard instruments do not share the same name, and thereby are not threatening the existence of each of the other instruments.  The piano, organ, and keyboard are all keyboard instruments with different names, thereby making it easy for the non musical person to recognize the difference between these instruments.  If the three instruments were called pianos or some other name in common, they would be confused with each other, just as the diatonic and chromatic harmonicas are.  For example, we do not call the piano an organ or visa versa, or the keyboard a piano or organ.  They are similar but different instruments.

   I am suggesting that we keep the name of the diatonic harmonica unchanged and that we change the name of the chromatic harmonica to a chromonica. The term chromonica is already in use so that the only change that would be made is to drop the word harmonica, when referring to the chromatic instrument.  This would give the chromatic instrument its own name, and help to distinguish it from the diatonic harmonica.

   It is a real shame that these two instruments have shared the same name, harmonica, as this has prevented the chromatic instrument from being recognized as the superior instrument that it is.  The chromatic instrument has all the qualities necessary to qualify as an orchestral instrument.  Unlike the diatonic harmonica, it has all the notes and can be played in all keys, even when it is pitched in a key other than C.  (Some of the orchestral instruments are pitched in other keys as well, such as the B flat or A clarinet.)  The chromatic instrument will never gain the respect it deserves and may face possible extinction if it is not given its own name, so that it can be distinguished from the diatonic harmonica.