Re: [Harp-L] How We Can Save the Chromatic Harmonica from Possible Extinction

> >  This
> > implies that the two instruments are similar, but for those of use who
> > play the chromatic harmonic, we realize that there is a world of
> > difference between the two instruments. It is for this reason, that I
> > am suggesting that the two instruments should not share the same name.
> >
> >  The name harmonica implies a similarity between the two
> > instruments that does not exist. The average non-harmonica player
> > does not know the different between these two instruments and thinks
> > that they are one of the same.

a chromatic is (more or less) two diatonics tuned a half step apart with a slide to select
which one is in play at any given moment.  same reeds, same mechanics, blow notes
and draw notes, hand effects, etc.  how are they not the same instrument?

> > I feel that sharing the name,
> > harmonica, between these two instruments is contributing to a lack of
> > knowledge about the chromatic instrument is an unseen factor in the
> > decline in popularity of the chromatic harmonica.

i don't begin to understand why (or even if) chromatics are on a decline.
but most of the public doesn't know or care about any kind of harmonica,
diatonic or chromatic.  we get funny looks when we talk about "blues harp",
as they visualize the stringed kind of harp.  if chromatics are dying, changing
their name isn't gonna make any difference.

> >  In contrast, the keyboard instruments do not share the same name,
> > and thereby are not threatening the existence of each of the other
> > instruments. The piano, organ, and keyboard are all keyboard
> > instruments with different names,

you forgot harpsichord.  these are completely different instruments,
generating sound by completely different mechanisms (struck strings,
plucked strings, electronics, air pressure through pipes).
only the control interface (keys) is the same.

a better example might be a piccolo, which is more or less a shrill,
temperamental, cranky flute.  or even a clarinet and the various
flavors of saxes.  they are much more similar than keyboard instruments
are, using a reed for sound, similar (same?) fingerings, etc.

> >  It is a real shame that these two instruments have shared the same
> > name, harmonica, as this has prevented the chromatic instrument from
> > being recognized as the superior instrument that it is.

maybe you could call it a "not a harmonica", lest you suffer guilt by
association.

> > The chromatic instrument
> > will never gain the respect it deserves and may face possible
> > extinction if it is not given its own name, so that it can be
> > distinguished from the diatonic harmonica.

respect is gained by what musicians do with the instrument,
not what they choose to call it.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Your love, your anger, your kindness, your hate.
All of it creates the future for you and your children.
What kind of future are you creating today?