Re: [Harp-L] How We Can Save the Chromatic Harmonica from Possible Extinction

Hi Randy,

Okay, I gotta take a deep breath here... Meditate a
moment... MMMMMMMMM... Try not to say anyting I'll
regret later.

At first I thought Randy was kidding... but no, the
person's letter seemed very sincere.

But even after trying to look beyond the obvious
bias toward the chromatic and a few misinformed
concepts -- even then I hardly know how to respond.
I can see why Randy reserved comment... but not
me... Oh no... I'm gonna go ahead and step in it.
(gulp).

This person obviously loves the chromatic harmonica
very much and is worried about it's future.
Personally, I believe the best way to ensure its
future is to simply play it.

Okay, I'm primarily a diatonic guy, but I play and
own at least six chromatic instruments, so I don't
have anything ~against~ chromatic harmonicas,
chromatic harmonica players or anything like
that....

...however...

I really don't think the diatonic harmonica is
"gaining in popularity over the chromatic
harmonica". I can't even understand where such a
notion might have come from.

The diatonic harmonica was invented well before the
chromatic harmonica and as far as I know, has
outsold it from day one. The diatonic harmonica has
been more popular than the chromatic from day one.
You might want to check volume of instruments sold
and (gross profits) with Hohner, but in terms of
popularity, I bet the diatonic has ~always~ been
number one. It's the chromatic harmonica that is
the late commer.

Then there's the issue of the diatonic harmonica
being "easier to play". I believe that is very much
up to debate. Sure, you can play Mary Had a Little
Lamb very easily on a diatonic... but you can play
that very easily on a chromatic too.

Playing in more than one key on a Chromatic is
difficult, but playing well in more than one key on
a given diatonic harmonica is tough too, perhaps
more difficult than on a chromatic, given that the
note arrangement is different in each of the
instrument's three octaves.

Personally, I think that's a ~very~ mis-informed
statement. I know chromatic guys who play much
better on chromatic than I do, but who can't play
the simplest blues lick on a diatonic harp. Which
is easier? Highly debatable.

The cost factor is a huge one. Chromatic harps are
definately more expensive than diatonics. I'll give
her that. Likely one of the most salient reasons
for the extreme popularity of the diatonic.

Finally, I take issue with her statement about the
chromatic being a "superior" instrument. Superior
in what regard? Erm... Okay, I won't address that
one because I'll start staying things I'll regret
after I hit "send".

As to her notion of adopting another name for the
chromatic harmonica... well, I wish her luck with
that. Didn't Larry Adler -- one of the greatest and
most popular chromatic players the world has ever
known -- didn't he insist on calling the chromatic
harmonica a "mouth organ"? Not sure how well that
idea stood the test of time.

I beleive the name-change task would require a
monumental effort, and would very likely result
much more confusion than it woule ever clear up.
New words for things do evolve, but generally come
about over time through popular usage of the new
term. One can't simply declare a new word for
something, it needs to evolve.

The chromatic harmonica was essentially a further
development of the already existing diatonic
harmonica. Should we also come up with new names
for the chord harmonica? The bass harmonica? The
tremolo or echo harmonica?

Bottom line for me: the commonalities between all
these instruments far outsrip their differences.
You use your breath to move a series of
free-swinging metal reeds aligned in a row... and
in that way you make MUSIC.

All harmonicas have the potential to take you to
various musical places. You get out of them what
you put into them. I feel bad that this person
believes that the chromatic harmonica is in danger
of extinction unless it gets another name. That's
not the problem.

Just get out there and play it! I believe it's the
~music~ that perserves the instrument, not the
name. It's ~people~ making music. Play your
instrument and it will never become extinct ... not
as long as it gets played.

Okay, I'm done.

Flumuxed in Colorado,
--Ken M.