Re: [Harp-L] Re: Reed Stress and Temperature

You can easily verify that amplitude goes down when you bend a note.

Take a diatonic reedplate and hold it vertically with the reeds facing away from you while looking in a mirror.

Bring one of the longest reeds up to your mouth and inhale. Note the amplitude (easy to see with the naked eye). Now bend the pitch down. You'll notice two things:

- The amplitude (width of reed swing) gets smaller (narrower travel) as you pull pitch down.
- The reed is pulled closer to the reedplate with lowered pitch.

Now exhale instead, The pitch will come in nearly a semitone higher than the previous unbent pitch, Bend the note up and note two things:

- Amplitude decreases as the pitch rises.
- As pitch rises, the reed pushes away from the reedplate.

Winslow Yerxa
President, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica
Producer, the Harmonica Collective
Resident Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool Community Music School