From: "Vern" <jevern@xxxxxxx>
To: "Larry Sandy" <slyou65@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: patpowers@xxxxxxx, harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 5:18:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 133, Issue 22

If you cooled a brass reed by 20 degF, its pitch would INCREASE by about 1 centâ.imperceptible among the other variables affecting pitch.  (derived from the chart at http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/young-modulus-d_773.html ) Note that E (modulus of elasticity) decreases with increasing temperature and that pitch is proportional to the square root of E.

If the pitch is decreased by moisture on the reed, the effects would tend to cancel.

Vern