Re: [Harp-L] octave detuning, on purpose

Whatever your method of doubling a "unison" note, whether you're using
chorus or slight detuning to get the beating, it doesn't take away the fact
that the beating is from a range of frequencies becoming stronger and
weaker in a cyclical way. They work a little differently, but both have the
result of an interference pattern in the wave propagation between the two
sources, leading to the same audible comb-filtering effect regardless of
which of the two methods you employ.

As Bob notes, if you don't like the sound of chorusing, then only using a
vibrato effect, which removes the dry signal altogether, will eliminate the
combination of two signals which leads to the comb filtering arising from
both chorus and detuning.

Both detuning and chorus arise from pitch differences, only in the case of
detuning, the pitch change is a fixed interval, but with chorus, that pitch
changes in a cyclical manner.