Re: [Harp-L] octave detuning, on purpose

Funny... I use octavers and other effects to get different timbres, but it
never occurred to me to do something so that someone "noticed" that the
timbre was different beyond that timbre change.

I don't know... maybe there's something to be said for doing octaves in a
way that says, "Hey, look at me! I'm doing octaves!"

When using a pitchshifter to do octaves or other intervals, it's not just
shifting the fundamental, but the upper harmonics as well. All the pitches
get shifted, so you can get "chipmunking" if you go higher, and deep
monster tones as you go lower.

Getting back to Robert Hale's actual question, whether octaves benefit from
detuning: I guess it's up to you. I use detuning of a few cents for
chorusing, but don't apply detuning to octaves. I like pure octaves like a
bandoneon for harmonica, unless I'm making a conscious decision to go for a
wet musette or cajun accordion sound. (And yes, you can also have a dry
cajun sound, without the beating.)

If you want, you can even compare using detune for chorusing versus various
settings of straight chorus.

There's a lot of "synthesis" possible with today's modern multi-effect
units. I like the idea of other people exploring to see what new sounds are
locked inside, just waiting for someone to open the door.