RE: [Harp-L] Why Blues Jams are Important

David-

Good for you and I acknowledge that there are always exceptions. SPAH, harmonica clubs, sitting in with a band, and such. It is those cheezy club owners that consistently take advantage that tic me off. They pay the bartenders dont they? They do not give away their food or drinks.

I have recently talked to a young man (blues harp player) who recently moved to Nashville and when he began making the 'rounds' he was calling on a club close to our "Music Row" and the club owner told him that he was in Nashville and clubs dont pay musicians. Now, I know that this is not entirely true but the small clubs pay next to nothing and I have heard that there are clubs that actually make the musicians pay to play. As ridicules as this sounds, I have been told this by a couple of musicians that I know and trust.

If a famous harp player walked in and wanted to play, would they make him/her pay? Crazy, man.

There are plenty of good paying gigs in Nashville but one has to be an established act before one can get booked.

There are jams all over the place 7 night a week. I just dont make the jams like I used to but I hope the jam organizers are making some money.

Recently I heard a story about one nearby club that would only pay the band if they brought in "X" number of customers. I called the club owner and that was exactly what he told me and proceeded to put forth scenarios where I would make more money if I brought in more customers and if he was having a "good" night he would pay more (undisclosed dollar amount) and would "promise" more money for the second gig. It got so convoluted that I began thinking things like "If an asteroid hits nearby would I make more money or less". So, I told him that I would play his club but under the following terms; that we put our man at the door and charge a cover charge and the band would take 100% of the door and his take would be what he made on selling food and drink. Very simple and easy to understand with NO grey area. He declined without even asking who I was and I was not rude or arrogant but was very professional in my pitch. Now what's wrong with this picture?

Things are just crazy around here. I do not blame the jammers. I blame the greedy people who take advantage of the up and coming musicians who are wanting to "make it" in our business. That's why I try to book venues at least 100 miles away from Nashville. There are exceptions of course. ;)

Best Regards,
Buck