Re: [Harp-L] Anybody still play the old ones...

Unlike many on this list, I have only one amp, and it's an oldie:  a '62
Princeton with a real '58 Jensen p10Q that came with it when I found it in
an antique shop. I got it serviced after I bought it, gave it a 3 prong
cord, swapped out the 12AX7s for NOS lower-gain tubes, and have been gigging
small venues with this amp twice a month for seven years now without a
problem (knock on wood).  I probably shouldn't keep dragging around this
amp, but as I don't do this for a living, and as it gives me a tone I like
at lower volumes, I'm content for now.

I suppose if I were to start gigging at louder volumes (with a full electric
band, for example) I'd need something different. The few times I've used
this amp with a full band, I felt that it didn't cut very well, and that
great warm tube tone got a bit muddy as I tried to battle with the Deluxes
and Twins of my guitarists.  I have some amps I'd look into if I was in the
market - either mid-size or bigger OR another small one with a line out.
Thing is, I'm finding in my old age that no matter what rig I try, my tone
is pretty much the same. Luckily I'm pretty happy with that tone. This even
counts when I try a crummy solid-state amp.  There have only been a few amps
that I've tried that sound appreciably different to me that I really like:
Brad H's Sony Jr 410 -barked like a German shepherd, Jason R's rig, which I
swear is part wolverine, and this ratty old Kalamazoo Model II with what
appeared to be a bullet hole in the top of the cabinet that was for sale at
a vintage music store for $90 that was the best sounding amp I've ever
played through....which I didn't buy because I'd never heard of it before at
the time, and didn't believe that such a cheap amp was up to my
"standards"....oops.........

--
http://www.myspace.com/46long
http://www.46long.com