From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of mike wesolowski
Sent: Sunday, December 06, 2009 1:04 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Harp Amp Cabs

In our research here at MegaTone Amps we built several amp cabs and combos
with different size back panels and a couple different size cabs with
minimal back panels.  Our research shows that the ones with minimal to no
back panels are the loudest and most tonefull sounding.  I'm curious to what
you folks think about your cabs and how they sound best.  I've noticed that
some builders use large back panels while others use smaller ones.
And...........who likes cabs that are closed back?  I am not saying that
one is better than another, cause everybody has different preferences. I was
just wondering what the opinions might be here on Harp-L. We know what we
like here at www.megatoneamps.com and are set in the way we build our cabs.
Always good to hear what other folks think, though.
Also...........there seems to be a bunch of folks who like the way Weber
speakers sound.  I--on the other hand--have never heard one that I
particularly cared for compared to the other speakers that we've auditioned.
To audition speakers for our amps and cabs, we built a "Big Ass Speaker
Cabinet" that's 8' long X 6' tall and holds 33 different speakers.  It's
got 14 12s--14 10s and 5 8s. All the speakers are separated from eachother
so that they are kinda like in their own little cab. The separate enclosures
measure basically 14"X14" and are about 14"deep with a partial back panel.
We've got it loaded with  a bunch of different stuff from a bunch of
different speaker manufacturers including Weber, Jensen,Utah, Kndrick, etc.
etc. etc.  We rotate our inventory frequently so that we can audition
speakers on a regular basis.  The "Big Ass Speaker Cabinet" is a great place
for our customers to come and hear different single speakers and speaker
combinations and how they sound with their own amp and takes a lot of the
guess work out of which speaker sounds the best with thier own amp.  It can
be a  bit overwhelming but it's fun as hell to spend a couple hours
listening to the real difference between all of the speakers and how
different they sound with different amps.  Our guitar player clients love
coming over with thier amps and trying stuff out.
Just wondering how some of you folks decide on which speaker to put in your
rig.
Mike "Wezo" Wesolowski
www.myspace.com/harpwezo
www.megatoneamps.com