Re: [Harp-L] Seydel 1847 stainless steel reed harmonica

Yes. I'm thinking of training some kind of small pack animal to carry a
couple of panniers. Also a 'batman' to hand me the right harp at the
right time, 'field' the ones I chuck mid song and replace them correctly
etc. Perhaps a retired dental nurse might be the go......
RD

On Apr 16, 2007, at 8:56 PM, Rick Dempster wrote:

> .....Just a thought on this remark: I've often thought wood combed
> harps sounded different to plastics. However, I've come to the
> conclusion that the reason is exactly as stated above.

Same here. For years I disagreed with Vern Smith on the subject of
combs. It turned out that I wasn't disagreeing with him. I felt I was

getting a different sound between the two and it turned out to be a
combination of several things.
1... My chromatics were all old and wood and had a particular sound.
2... I got a new plastic combed chromo (same model, same key). It
sounded different.
ergo. Between the older chromos being 'broken in', had swelled combs,

more gunk in the nooks and crannies, they were softer, had less
volume, and bent and slurred easier. Also, I had changed out the
springs with safety pins.
3... My diatonics were all old, They were responding to me because I
played them the same way for years. Newer diatonics sounded
different. They were louder and brighter, and took some play time to
get them to hold a bend in the position(s) I wanted.

>          I have fallen into the habit of deliberately using a
slightly
> leaky harmonica on some tunes because I want a light, reedy sound.
> Note
> that when I say'slightly leaky', this may simply mean harps with
more
> offset to the reeds.

I will be doing that on ONE tune at the Buckeye Harmonica Fest next
week. I will use TWO chromos on the same tune. They are BOTH same
key, same model. One is old (wood) and will be used for the sweet
ballad part. The other is new (plastic) and will be used for the jazz

waltz part.

>         The harps that I have adjusted for overblowing sometimes do

> not
> produce the sound might I want on a particular song.

Exactly, that's why you pros need to carry 18 standard, 18 special
tuned, 18 minor, and 18 custom set-up harps.
MINIMUM six dozen

smokey-joe