Re: [Harp-L] What music does to me

<<<< Virtuosity may not make better music. Show-off super riffs and such that display the players skill often become noise to my unsophisticated ear. I can't follow it, and it pulls me out of the music.>>>>

<< However, you seem to consider in the second part of your sentence that virtuosity is not good music because it displeases you ("I can't follow it, and it pulls me out of the music") which I would dispute since it seems to me our personal appreciation does not make music good or bad.>>

I didn't really make a blanket statement that it is bad. I only said that depending upon the sophistication of the listeners ear, virtuosity displays could take the music beyond that listeners ability to follow it. At that point, for that listener, it becomes noise, rather than music. I did clearly reference it to me, but I doubt that the statement is unique to me.

Peace and music,
Dave