Re: [Harp-L] The best Stevie - overated perhaps

I used to be a big fan of Stevie, but I'm starting to think he is overated. His early successes were awesome, no doubt there. But over the last few years I have heard him play on other people's CDs and no matter what they play (latin, jazz) all he does on these sides sounds like blues. It's not bad, he is talented, but it's really not that great. I think Stevie is great compositionally and with learned pieces, but improvising is not his strong suite. We've all seen great improvisers an he is not one of them. Think of Norton Bufallo on that Bonnie Raitt tune, now that's a session.

With respect to him being instanly recognizable, dosen't that mean he always sounds the same and thus has few tricks in his bag?

Chris said:

Stevie is, he is ,alas, human and isn't better than everyone at everything.

Yep, to be fair so is everybody

Anyways for me, not the best as there are so many fine harp players and musicians who deserve more credit, but I admit some of his compositions certainly were the best,

Pierre.

PS: If there are any recent (last 20 years) tracks I should hear, let me know.

----- Original Message ----- From: "chris smith" <harpshredder@xxxxxxxxx>