Re: [Harp-L] What music does to me -- Ben's blog article

I like the approach but I'm not clear on the guts definition. As an example do you mean "Love supreme" or would the following be an example of the gut:

When someone plays a few notes and the sound is absolutely jaw-droping. Ben Webster comes to mind but is excluded by "Not pretty".

or is that another category: "The ears" as in I can't believe my ears. Anyways your definition of "gut" is unclear to me, perhaps you need to word it differently. Also "not pretty" may depend on the piece; what if its pretty and gut-churning and intense.

By the way, there is "sexy" too as in Norah Jones first CD; goes with heart, but not quite the same feeling, more primal.
a.. the head: the music stimulates your intellect. It requires a level of analysis and the appreciation is in the analysis more than in the other aspects of the music.
b.. the heart: the music generates a "romantic" emotion, an evocation of beauty, peace, calm and voluptuousness
c.. the guts: the music generates a raw empathy that is not pretty or esthetic but gut-churning and intense
d.. the legs: the music makes you want to tap your feet, shake your legs, wiggle your bum, etc.
Pierre.