[Harp-L] Chromatic harmonica maintenance

Tom Halchak info@xxxxx
Thu Oct 5 12:45:50 EDT 2023

I have zero experience working on chromatic harmonicas but I have built
thousands of custom diatonics and repaired more than I can count.  I could
be way off base on this question.  Perhaps it does have something to do
with the valve.  But based upon your description of the issue you are
having, it sounds to me like the reed is not swinging through the slot
cleanly.  This could be due to one of three reasons:

1. The reed is not centered in the slot.  Consequently one edge of the reed
is rubbing up against the slot.   My guess would be near the tip.  This
would not necessarily impede the movement of the reed 100% of the time.  It
could be affected by such things as moisture, temperature or dust.
Sometimes it is an issue.  Sometimes it is not.  It doesn't take much for
there to be a problem. Hold the reed plate up to the light to see if the
reed is rubbing against the slot.  If it is, there are two
possible solutions.  One is to center the reed.  I only have one Kongsheng
harmonica and from what I can see, it is a clone of a Suzuki, meaning it
has spot welded reeds.  Contrary to what a lot of folks believe, spot
welded reeds can be swiveled from side to side.  Certainly enough to center
the reed.  The other is to use a piece of shim stock or an X-Acto knife to
scrape the edge of the slot to remove a tiny amount of material and provide
clearance.

2. The reed is too long and the tip of the reed is rubbing against the end
of the slot.  Often, the force of the reed moving through the slot is
enough to keep it moving, but sometimes when the reed settles, it can get
stuck in exactly the right (wrong) spot.  The next time you try to play the
reed, it is stuck.  The solution is file a tiny bit off the tip of the reed
to provide more clearance.

3. There is a burr on the slot that is getting in the way of the reed swing
through.  Again, hold the reed plate up to the light.  You should see a
halo of light around the reed.  If you see a little dark spot, that is
likely where there is a burr on the slot.  You can use a shim stock or an
x-Acto knife to remove the burr.

Hope this helps.  I am not a chromatic expert, but what you have described
is something I encounter all the time when working on diatonics.

--
*Tom Halchak*
*Blue Moon Harmonicas LLC*