[Harp-L] Chromatic harmonica maintenance

Slim Heilpern slim@xxxxx
Thu Oct 5 13:28:19 EDT 2023

Hi Tom -

Thanks for weighing in on this. But as someone who's played chromatic for many, many years, I can say that the problem as described (delayed response) is at least 90% of the time valve-related. This I can say from much experience with this issue. Cleaning the valve will usually (at least temporarily) fix it. Replacing the valve is often a better long term solution.

Other responders recommended pre-heating the harp. I do this (using a heating pad on very low heat) but for me, it is not always enough -- can still end up with a sticky valve after an hour or so of playing (this is why you want to have at least one extra harp waiting on the heating pad).

- Slim

https://slimandpenny.com