[Harp-L] FourKey and BarryHarris tunings

Roger Myerson rmyerson@xxxxx
Mon May 1 21:01:27 EDT 2023

Here is a layout of BarryHarris tuning for chromatic harmonicas:
BLOW_SLIDE_OUT  A  C  E  G  A  C  E  G  A C  E  G
BLOW_SLIDE_IN   Bb C# F  Ab Bb C# F  Ab Bb C# F  Ab
DRAW_SLIDE_OUT  B  D  F  Ab B  D  F  Ab B  D  F  Ab
DRAW_SLIDE_IN   C  Eb F# A  C  Eb F# A  C  Eb F# A

Barry Harris taught that a major bebop scale  (C D E F G Ab A B) can be
understood as a major 6th chord (C E G A) together with diminished 7th
chord, and that is how we divide the scale across the blow notes and the
draw notes in this tuning.
I called it "SemiDiminished tuning" when I wrote about it on
Slidemeister in 2019, and it is listed as "Bebop II tuning (12.3g)" in
Pat Missin's catalogue of tunings.  These names together tell you that
this tuning offers a very promising combination of properties from two
great classes of harmonica tunings.  It gives you a bebop scale when you
leave the slide out, but on the draws it gives you two of the three
diminished-7th chords.
(I am not sure, but David might be playing a version of this that
switches the blows and draws.)
-Roger

--
Roger B. Myerson, David L. Pearson Distinguished Service Professor
Harris School of Public Policy, University of Chicago