[Harp-L] Fourkey (was:New tuning #1)

Tin Lizzie TrackHarpL@xxxxx
Mon May 1 18:04:26 EDT 2023

Whoa, serendipity!  I just stumbled on a series of videos by a guitar player named Chris Parks, titled "Things I Learned from Barry Harris".  Mr. Parks is a guitar player, but most of his material (so far) is about melodic lines rather than chords per se, though the underlying harmony is always there.  Some of the material goes over my head, but mostly he hits the sweet spot between "stuff I already know" and "stuff I can't get traction on".

Here is a link to the first in the series:   https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=TILF+Barry+Harris+Episode+1

I found this rabbit hole when I wanted to learn more about the diminished scale.  If anyone else is particularly interested in that, Eposide 10 is the best explanation of it I've ever found:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihfZgTV8yNY

I never stopped being a clod when it comes to jazz, but the ideas still intrigue me.

And now that I have exhumed my bebop-tuned chromatic harp and started practicing scales, looking toward thirds and triads and arpeggios and maybe (gasp!) a few tunes, WHAT IS BarryHarris TUNING?  Inquiring minds want to know!  (A shallow internet search came up blank.)

Tin Lizzie (wondering if she missed a boat with bebop tuning instead of BarryHarris tuning)