[Harp-L] Fourkey (was:New tuning #1)

Gary Lehmann gnarlyheman@xxxxx
Mon May 1 17:20:22 EDT 2023

Hi Roger!
I sold Roger what I believe to be his first FourKey, a Seydel Solist.
He is a great guy and also was awarded a Nobel Prize (but not for his harp playing, sadly).
JazMaan has moved on to what he calls the BarryHarris tuning, I did some repairs for him recently.
Interesting tuning—I also did a Suzuki Sirius in that tuning not too long ago.

Sent from my iPad

> On May 1, 2023, at 2:46 PM, Roger Myerson <rmyerson at xxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Jeremy:
> I have been playing fourkey tuning since 2009.  I have explored a lot of other tunings, but ultimately this has been the one for me.
> In the past few years, I have been developing arrangements of classical music pieces for a little 10-hole fourkey harmonica.  You can see them performed by a player with very limited ability (me) at
> https://home.uchicago.edu/~rmyerson/classical4key.htm
> But the best examples of what a great player can do with a fourkey harmonica are Jazmaan's videos from 2009:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Thib725Ig
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5un0JAkWoc
> I hope to see you at SPAH this summer.
> -Roger
>

>> Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 11:58:15 -0500
>> From: Gary Lehmann<gnarlyheman at xxxxx>
>> To: Jeremy Uejio<jazzju at xxxxx>
>> Cc:jross38 at xxxxx,harp-l at xxxxx
>> Subject: Re: [Harp-L] New tuning #1
>>
>> I am down with the Fourkey.
>> Today I am working on other people?s harps but send me a number and I will gladly chat.
>> Gary
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> ?
>>> Have you ever tried fourkey tuning?  It takes getting used to and doesn't have a lot of common chords.  They come in different keys as well.  I have one which is tuned:
>>>
>>> Blow:
>>> G-Bb-C-Eb-F-G-Bb-C-Eb-F
>>> Draw: