[Harp-L] New tuning #1

Roger Myerson rmyerson@xxxxx
Mon May 1 17:30:26 EDT 2023

I didn't invent fourkey tuning, that is credited to Andy Newton, who
wrote about it in 2007.  I learned about it in 2009 and have been
playing fourkey harps ever since (thanks to Seydel's configurator!).
I spent several years systematically studying variants of fourkey
tuning, and in that search I discovered pentabender tuning in 2014.
(Nobody seems to have thought about the pentabender note arrangement
before that, which is still surprising to me because it is such a
natural idea.)

Let me add that the fourkey harp that I play has a slightly modified
setup, with the high draw note raised one half-step to give me two full
octave.
You mentioned a fourkey that plays major keys (Bb,F,C,G) with this nice
note arrangement:
Blow:
G-Bb-C-Eb-F-G-Bb-C-Eb-F
Draw:
A-B-D-E-F#-A-B-D-E-F#
If you raised the high draw reed from F# to G, you would have two full
octaves (probably G3-to-G5), and converting the high F# to a bend note
would not be a problem in three of the four keys, as F# is not in the
Bb, F, or C major scales.
The layout of my (Bb,F,C,G)-fourkey is similar but starts in C (the root
of the 3rd major position) and has a two-octave range from C4 to C6:
Blow:
C-Eb-F-G-Bb-C-Eb-F-G-Bb
Draw:
D-E-F#-A-B-D-E-F#-A-C
All my 10-hole harmonicas are transpositions of this layout.
Roger