[Harp-L] Sterilizing Harmonicas with Ozone

Ronnie Schreiber autothreads@xxxxx
Wed Mar 25 14:27:37 EDT 2020

People who would never thing of borrowing a used toothbrush will check
out someone else's harmonica. Needless to say, this is not an ideal time
to be playing other people's wind or reed instruments without
sterilizing them first.

The Wuhan coronavirus (aka CCPneumonia) can apparently survive for days
on hard surfaces. Though you may be tempted to use an ultrasonic
cleaner, although they do a very good job at mechanically cleaning the
harmonica, ultrasonic cleaners aren't very effective when it comes to
killing microbes (though I'm sure that many are washed off in the
process). While I doubt any of the consumer ozone sanitizers have been
scientifically tested, ozone will indeed kill viruses and you can get a
battery powered ozone sanitizer for $50 or less that will fit 10 or 12
diatonics at one time.

This is the one I use and it's just $30 on eBay. Less than the cost of a
pro harp.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ion-Ozone-Sanitizer-Toys-Dentures-Phones-Sponges-COPD-masks-oxygen-masks-/371680586822

You can also use an ozone sanitizer to sterilize your paper money and
credit/debit cards, likely the most contaminated things you carry.

Ronnie Schreiber
The Electric Harmonica Co.

PS. If you have a 3D printer, you can print N95 masks:

https://3duniverse.org/2020/03/18/3d-printing-to-help-with-the-coronavirus-pandemic/
- this one requires some assembly

https://www.billingsclinic.com/foundation/ - sized for an adult but they
also have the CAD files if you need to resize.

Face shield files here:

https://blog.prusaprinters.org/from-design-to-mass-3d-printing-of-medical-shields-in-three-days/