[Harp-L] Sterilizing Harmonicas with Ozone

Chad Nordstrom chad.nordstrom@xxxxx
Thu Mar 26 08:30:58 EDT 2020

Easy do not let anyone use them unless you sterilize your harps; hepatitis, flu, colds, etc are a reality. Ozone works, but it is an oxidizer and will tarnish and eventually destroy the harps. There are disinfecting sprays (Harpsmith sold them), UV, cold, and my preference ultrasonic bath.

That being said please do not spread misinformation. While better than nothing, that is NOT an N95 mask.

Even if it was, NYC is using 40,000 a day. It is impossible for anyone to print them fast enough and cost effective enough. A regular N95 mask is around 60 cents.

3M is making 100 million N95 masks a month, shipping direct to the impacted areas, and is distributing 95% to the first responders. At this point distribution is the constraint not the creation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~><)))'>
Chad Nordstrom

> On Mar 26, 2020, at 07:08, Ronnie Schreiber <autothreads at xxxxx> wrote:

People who would never thing of borrowing a used toothbrush will check out someone else's harmonica. Needless to say, this is not an ideal time to be playing other people's wind or reed instruments without sterilizing them first.

The Wuhan coronavirus (aka CCPneumonia) can apparently survive for days on hard surfaces. Though you may be tempted to use an ultrasonic cleaner, although they do a very good job at mechanically cleaning the harmonica, ultrasonic cleaners aren't very effective when it comes to killing microbes (though I'm sure that many are washed off in the process). While I doubt any of the consumer ozone sanitizers have been scientifically tested, ozone will indeed kill viruses and you can get a battery powered ozone sanitizer for $50 or less that will fit 10 or 12 diatonics at one time.

This is the one I use and it's just $30 on eBay. Less than the cost of a pro harp. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ion-Ozone-Sanitizer-Toys-Dentures-Phones-Sponges-COPD-masks-oxygen-masks-/371680586822

You can also use an ozone sanitizer to sterilize your paper money and credit/debit cards, likely the most contaminated things you carry.

Ronnie Schreiber
The Electric Harmonica Co.

PS. If you have a 3D printer, you can print N95 masks:

https://3duniverse.org/2020/03/18/3d-printing-to-help-with-the-coronavirus-pandemic/ - this one requires some assembly

https://www.billingsclinic.com/foundation/ - sized for an adult but they also have the CAD files if you need to resize.

Face shield files here:

https://blog.prusaprinters.org/from-design-to-mass-3d-printing-of-medical-shields-in-three-days/