[Harp-L] Meanwhile Over On the Musician Forums..

Ronnie Schreiber autothreads@xxxxx
Sat Jan 19 15:35:44 EST 2019

Elliot King <1elliotking at xxxxx> wrote:
> From:
> This endless conversation about who has a better method of filing reeds etc
> is getting very old
> Doesn't anyone play or did everyone turn into harp mechanics?
> Just saying~~~

How many guitar players aren't interested in gear? There are as many
YouTube videos about guitars, pedals, and amps as there are teaching
tutorials.

Let me ask you, where would music be today were it not for Leo Fender
and Laurens Hammond? Leo couldn't play guitar or bass and Hammond was so
profoundly tone deaf that he's been described as "amusical".

If I'd spent the last five years practicing playing harmonica instead of
developing the Harmonicaster electric harmonica I'd be able to play an
invention that didn't exist, and I'd likely be just another middling
harp player noodling the blues.

Instead, since I wasn't going to significantly contribute as a musician,
I figure this will be my contribution to music.

The technical side of things goes hand in hand with the art. Pianos
didn't exist until iron casting technology got good enough to make a
frame that could withstand tons of pressure from all of those heavy
gauge strings.

As for whether or not this or that modification makes a better playing
or sounding harmonica, I'm an advocate of blind A/B testing, but I also
think that an experienced musician or critical listener may well be able
to perceive nuances that a less trained ear might not hear.

Certainly response and playability are necessarily going to be
subjective judgments. I suppose one could design an empirical test for
quickness of reed response with a standardized burst of air pressure and
waveform analysis, but ultimately it's going to be about how it feels to
the player.

Instrument measurements are important but player and listener's ears are
the ultimate judge. If the two agree, it's probably reality.

I'm experimenting with some pickups of my own design for the
Harmonicaster. I was just A/B testing (not blind) the new pickups
compared to the production pickups. I thought the tone was good but they
weren't quite as loud. Close, but not quite. So I got out the dB meter
and sure enough, there was about a 3 dB difference, about what you'd
expect from a barely audible difference.

Still, there is lots of stuff you can't measure in a lab and expert
players' ears and lips may be, in certain circumstance, the best
measuring device.

Ronnie Schreiber
The Electric Harmonica Co.
http://www.harmonicaster.com