[Harp-L] Meanwhile Over On the Musician Forums..

Steve moorcot@xxxxx
Sat Jan 19 17:09:14 EST 2019

> On 18 Jan 2019, at 12:35, The Iceman wrote:
>
> why not do both? You can ask a question regarding how to perform better, ya know...
>
> From: Elliot King

> Enough with customizing reeds Can't we talk about tips on how to perform
> better playing rhythm, licks, scales, tips on playing in different
> positions, improving tone with your armature instead of filing reeds etc
> Things that actually pertain to playing
> This endless conversation about who has a better method of filing reeds etc
> is getting very old
> Doesn't anyone play or did everyone turn into harp mechanics?
> Just saying~~~

Well this is what I think. I've never earned more than a few quid from playing the harmonica, though there have been lots of few quids over the years (don't tell my taxman).  Therefore I've never really indulged in expensive custom harps, bar a few SP20s from Antony Dannecker, who's a genius. Instead, I bought a Lee Oskar tool kit and a cheap tuner many moons ago and used them to learn about the guts of harmonicas.  Have added somewhat to that collection, but nothing hi-tech.  I learned a thing or two from Pat Missin's amazing website about different fine tunings and all that (it is important), and, if Pat's reading this, I apologise for ever arguing with him!  So the upshot is that I can tune reeds and I can set gaps to my personal requirements. I can more or less get a good, even response up and down the harp.

 I know which harps to buy that may not be expensive but which have enough quality control to yield to my tweaking and which have basic longevity. At a pinch I can even cannibalise old harps to replace prematurely dead reeds. So the thing is that I am man and machine in harmony. I can't do most things that professional customisers do but I do understand how my harps work, and I can do basic first aid. I actually think that all this makes me play a bit better.

Steve Shaw