[Harp-L] Theory and Practice - Not exactly contradictory

Robert Coble robertpcoble@xxxxx
Wed Jan 16 22:36:29 EST 2019

I am certainly heartened by the respectful "disagreement" regarding new approaches to improving harmonicas, with Brendan and Vern as primary protagonists of two seemingly differing viewpoints.

I've known Vern for some time, having had the pleasure of making his acquaintance at a SPAH Convention. I also had the opportunity to work with Vern on a prototype reed-making machine (which unfortunately did not pan out), albeit there was only a very small contribution from me. I can attest that Vern is an excellent engineer with considerable theoretical "chops", who also has common sense and a practical "feel" for what will (or won't) work in his designs. He is NOT an "ivory tower" theoretician. If you want to see a "real life" example of his practicality, look no further than the Hands-Free Chromatic. Enrico Granafei can attest to the brilliant design of the HFC. Take a listen to his music while playing the HFC and guitar to see what I mean.

I also am in awe of Brendan Power. He has produced so many innovative concepts in new harmonicas, in addition to being a world-class player. I've never had the pleasure of meeting Brendan, but I did exchange some email with him about a new (old) design for a chromatic harmonica (without wind savers and without a slide). He was very encouraging, making suggestions as to how to go about making a relatively inexpensive prototype (which still remains in the "thinking about it" stage for now).

Both gentlemen are just that, and both contribute greatly to the harmonica community. Kudos to you both, fellows!

I do repairs and some customization of harmonicas, mostly for my own amusement and the improvement of my own harmonicas. (I'm NOT in the business.) I love any and all suggestions for improving harps, and love to try them out just to gain the experience trying to make them play better. Brendan's latest suggestion (whether you think it makes a SIGNIFICANT change or not) is nothing but sheer genius. There are some people, like Brendan, and "Smokey Joe" Leone, as well as others) who are brilliant musicians as well as masters of "shade tree" practical mechanics: using whatever is handy (and cheap) as tools to accomplish tasks that usually would require specialized tools.

It takes genius to find improvements where most of us just accept things as they are.

Thank you to all involved in this discussion!

Crazy (but not sufficiently to think I'm somebody "special") Bob