[Harp-L] Arbor Press to fasten reeds

Michelle LeFree mlefree@xxxxx
Wed Sep 26 20:38:25 EDT 2018

David Pearce wrote:

> I meant using an Arbor press to fasten the reed in lieu of a hammer.  Or how would one go about making a reed riveting machine?

Funny you should ask, David.

As it so happens there is no need to make one yourself because in order
to address the current void of commercially available rivet replacement
systems I just recently created a 3D-printed jig for this exact purpose.
It's the first in a series of SilverWing 3-SPace's 3D-printed harmonica
repair tools I am introducing. [SilverWing 3-Space is my new company.
3-Space refers to the coordinate system used by mathematicians to
described 3-dimensional objects.] I was going to post about the set all
together but in view of this thread I am compelled to announce my "Reed
Replacer" system for diatonic harmonicas here and now.

The SilverWing 3-Space "Reed Replacer" system incorporates:

- a 3D-printed ABS plastic frame that features an oil-impregnated bronze
bushing as a precision guide for the included punches

- 2 hardened O-1 tool steel punches: 1 tapered (pointed) to remove old
rivets and 1 flat punch to flatten donor reed pads and recipient reed
plates

- an 18 oz. 1" square cold rolled steel bar as an anvil with a slot
running across its short dimension to accept the row of rivet heads

- a port for a flashlight  to ensure that the reed, rivet pad and reed
plate slot are all well illuminated (flashlight is not included, but any
1" diameter one will do)

Here are a few photos:

https://silverwingleather.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Reed_Replacer_v1.1-1.jpg

https://silverwingleather.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Reed_Replacer_v1.1-6.jpg

https://silverwingleather.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Reed_Replacer_v1.1-4.jpg

https://silverwingleather.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Reed_Replacer_v1.1-7.jpg

And a PDF of the instructions:

https://silverwingleather.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Reed-Replacer-Instructions.pdf

I am pleased that both Andrew Zajac and Gary Lehman have posted positive
demonstrations and reviews.

http://harp.andrewzajac.ca/LeFreeRRS

https://www.facebook.com/groups/harprepair/permalink/1768928946561462/

I am also pleased that Rockin' Ron's is carrying the RRS system for
$135, delivered. He has them in stock.

https://rockinronsmusicsd.com/silverwing-3-space-reed-replacer-includes-free-usa-shipping.html

Feel free to contact me via email for any comments, questions, or
inquiries: mlefree at silverwingleather dot com

Thanks!

Michelle

PS: Other products soon to be released include an all-encompassing
3D-rprinted system for replacing reeds on diatonic or chromatic harps
with rivets or screws (includes an exciting USB microscope attachment
for advanced visualization), and a series of LED flashlight-illuminated
probes that I call "Harmonica Lightsabers" that fit into reed chambers
and illuminate the reed space between reed and reed plate
(https://rockinronsmusicsd.com/silverwing-3-spaces-light-saber-includes-free-usa-shipping.html).