[Harp-L] Arbor Press to fasten reeds

Joseph Leone 3N037@xxxxx
Tue Sep 25 23:43:47 EDT 2018

> On Sep 25, 2018, at 8:42 PM, David Pearce via Harp-L <harp-l at xxxxx> wrote:
>

> I meant using an Arbor press to fasten the reed in lieu of a hammer.

I imagine that the shock of a light tap with a hammer has the effect of ‘barreling out’ the mid section of a rivet as it shortens it an infinitesimal amount.
Therefore the rivet holds by means of friction. A rivet is somewhat like a drift pin. Pressing would probably do the same, but it might be hard to regulate
HOW much pressure. After all brass reed plates are quite easy to deform.

>  Or how would one go about making a reed riveting machine?

There is no mystery to these. Several people have designed and made various models. Our own master tool maker Richard Sleigh, master tool trouble shooter
tool maker for Stanley tools Wally Peterman, master jeweler and Harmonica Rascals repair man Leo Friedman, master watch repairman Bill ’the desert fennec’
Rommel. And others.

> Love your detailed and informative explanations Vern!  Keep em coming!

Vern IS ‘Da man’. lol.

smo-joe