[Harp-L] Melodies with low bends (was Re: Video about "clean"overblows)

Laurent Vigouroux laurentharp@xxxxx
Mon Aug 13 05:59:37 EDT 2018

Hello Kieron

Big thanks for the feedback! By the way, I'm a bit surprised the subject has not raised any other comment. I really think diatonic playing has been changing a lot recently and I would have liked to have some feedback from experiences players on the list.

>>I'm jealous of your Harp. Is that a fully customised harp? It has a nice warm sound.

This is a full wood custom harp made by Raymond Brodur, with Golden Melody reedplates setup by Sébastien Charlier. This is an incredible instrument in terms of airtightness and sound.

I'll post a review of it soon on planetharmonica.com

>>The OB on 6 I mentioned came about when I was trying to play the standard opening to Autumn Leaves

>>https://soundcloud.com/grey-owl-harp/autumn-leaves-segment-in-3rd-on-c-harp

This does sound really good! But this obliges you to have a vibrato on the note, doesn't it? In that context, that's good but what if you want a note without vibrato?

I've made my own attempt on it:

https://soundcloud.com/laurent-vigouroux/autumn-leaves-in-dm-beginning

What do you think of it?

>> I think my best attempt at a sweet melody incorporating OB's and bends was on 'Oblivion' which is a lovely tune.

I haven't found it on your sounclound. I would be very interested in hearing that.

By the way, you play very well on all your soundcloud tunes. This would deserve a better recording in my opinion. You use the internal mic of your PC, don't you? It would be so much cleaner with an USB mike.

A bientôt!

Laurent