[Harp-L] SOPHISTICATED LADY on a Midi Harmonica and NEW Chord harp tuning!

Shirley, John John_Shirley@xxxxx
Thu Oct 12 11:48:35 EDT 2017

Loading new tunings on the fly from a computer, phone or tablet in a live performance setting is really only necessary when the 12 tunings that can be stored in the DM48 are not enough. It should also be noted that these 12 can be transposed to any pitch level (making for around 1000 options using only the internal memory of the DM48).

Really, I think having all possible keys (or pitch levels) of 12 different tunings will probably be enough for most players, especially in a live setting. What percentage of players use harmonicas in more than 12 different tuning formats on a single live gig? And how many of those would need more before they would get a breather?

Anyway, my "under a minute" statement about how long it takes to upload a new tuning wasn't really a measure of how quickly it can be done for a live situation; it was both purposefully open and quite conservative. For me (with my particular setup) I can consistently do it in 10-15 seconds and be ready to play the next tune. I think with a little prep and practice this could be achieved consistently by others as well, using the majority of setups.

- John

John Shirley, Professor of Music
UMass Lowell