[Harp-L] Couldn't we rename our instruments ?

Chesper Nevins chespernevins@xxxxx
Thu Oct 12 07:55:13 EDT 2017

I appreciate what you're saying Sebastien.  I run into the same issue, but
from a little different perspective.

I play the Diminished Layout "Chromatic Harmonica", and also the Diminished
Layout "Diatonic Harmonica".  The Diminished "Diatonic Harmonica" is a
nonsensical term in two ways: the Diminished scale is absolutely not
diatonic, and the purpose of tuning a "diatonic" harmonica to a diminished
note layout is to make it easier to play fully chromatically. So neither
the construction nor the purpose of playing the Diminished "Diatonic" is
about playing diatonically.

I have been calling the Diminished Chromatic the "Dimi", and the Diminished
Diatonic the "Dimi Blues Harp", but even now I see issues with that as
well.  Players may not desire to call the "diatonic" a "blues harp", as one
can play so many other kinds of music on it.

Perhaps the "Harmonica" and the "Slide Harmonica"?  BTW, I'm thinking we
could drink beer AND have this discussion at the same time ;)

Michael, great story.  I've even experienced that at a jam with a
*chromatic*!  Players asking me what keys I can play in.  And here I am
playing Dimi Chromatic.  heh.  Try explaining that one in 30 seconds or
less...  lol.