[Harp-L] Couldn't we rename our instruments ?

Slim Heilpern slim@xxxxx
Thu Oct 12 09:48:10 EDT 2017

Ever since I heard Howard Levy play, I’ve been in favor of moving away from “Chromatic Harmonica” to “Slide Harmonica” for the reasons Sebastien raised (essentially, since chromaticism doesn’t require a slide). However, I expect that it will be a very slow evolution at best. In my own performances and liner notes, I tend to use both terms. I like ‘slide’ especially since it’s also used for trombones and guitars (although there is the “button accordion”) and because it sounds cooler and has fewer syllables (“harmonica” is already syllable-heavy).

- Slide Man Slim