[Harp-L] Couldn't we rename our instruments ?

Michael Rubin michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxx
Thu Oct 12 07:30:33 EDT 2017

One time I went to a blues jam with a single harp.  The song leader asked
what keys I could play in.  I said any key, but named some and said, "These
keys are the most traditionally used."

He called out another key.   Although I played some fills, I tend to be
pretty sparse will fills.  He didn't give me a solo.  I said, "What's up
dude?  I am only on stage for 3 songs.  Where was my solo?"

He said, "You didn't have the harp for that key."

I said "I TOLD you, I can play in any key.  Now, next song, give me a solo!"

Although I didn't like it at the time,  it has become one of my favorite
memories.

I don't think we have top change the name of the harp.  I just think we
have to be playing publicly and sooner or later people will understand.
Michael Rubin
michaelrubinharmonica.com