[Harp-L] ACE Chromatic New wood inserts by Tom Halchak at SPAH

BenBouman2017 ben@xxxxx
Sun Jul 23 15:08:33 EDT 2017

Amen to that!!

In the end it is always about the player/what he feels when playing a harmonica.
I can build 2 identical custom harps, check all tolerances with a microscope and still they “feel” different.

I can have a player play 2 harps, 1 is a custom harp and the other one is out of the box..  some players will prefer the o.o.t.b just because they like the feel.

I can have 2  players play the same riff on a custom harp and they will sound totally different…

Etc …Etc…. Etc…

Ben Bouman
www.benboumanharmonicas.com <http://www.benboumanharmonicas.com/>

> Op 23 jul. 2017, om 20:38 heeft Joseph Leone <3n037 at xxxxx> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Mr.  Shelstraw raises an excellent point. I believe there are still personages on this list that remember 20 years ago when I said: “This test is silly”. And suggested bringing in a ‘voicecorder’.
> The same thing they use for bank vaults and CIA headquarters. Is that instrument a spectral analysis device? That would kill this whole enchilada. And here’s why.
>
> 26 years ago I selected 2 chromatics at a fest. I played 6 of the SAME model. Placed them in group(s) of 2, 2, 1 & 1. Then I chose  one because of the sound. The second
> I chose because the tone was the best BUT the slide action was second best. Of the six, three sounded close to each other, and the other three sounded  differently..but also
> similar to each other. I brushed the two groups of two aside, and purchased two. A top pro was witnessing this and agreed with my purchase.
>
> I came away with the theory that NO TWO harmonicas sound exactly the same. Even from the same manufacturer, identical model. Yes, the differences may be slight, But they
> are there. And I’m not arguing that comb material(s) necessarily make a difference. What I think is that the player FEELS a difference. In their mouth. And isn’t that what it’s all
> about... Alfie...with a mouth actuated instrument? Perhaps it was reed gapping? Perhaps it was reed tolerance.
>
> When cutting close fitting parts, the operator will ask you “What’s the tolerance? plus or minus? Now if you were to say 1/1ooo, here’s what you get. Reed slots may be right on the money but the reeds are 1ooo
> OVER. OR the reeds may be on the money but the slots may be 1ooo UNDER. OR worst case scenario, the slots it can be a combination of both. Both being over sized, both being undersized.
> Just a few cerebrum drippings.
>
> sm0joe
>
>> On Jul 23, 2017, at 4:29 AM, Sheltraw <macaroni9999 at xxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Could do spectral analysis instead.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Jul 21, 2017, at 7:45 PM, Robert Hale <robert at xxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am happy to respect the observations of experienced players. Until we
>>> have randomized, double-blind testing, we only have opinions of our
>>> respected players.
>>>
>>> Robert Hale
>>> Serious Honkage in Arizona
>>> youtube.com/DUKEofWAIL
>>> DUKEofWAIL.com
>>>

>>> On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 2:39 PM, Winslow Yerxa via Harp-L <harp-l at xxxxx

>>> --
>>>
>>> Robert Hale is the DUKE of WAIL
>>>
>>> *Music Lessons for Adults and Children *
>>> Harmonica, Steel Guitar, Dobro, Piano Tuner
> [...]

Kindest regards, met vriendelijke groeten,

www.harmonicainstituut.nl <http://www.harmonicainstituut.nl/>
www.marbletones.com <http://www.marbletones.com/>
www.marble-amps.com <http://www.marble-amps.com/>