[Harp-L] ACE Chromatic New wood inserts by Tom Halchak at SPAH

Joseph Leone 3n037@xxxxx
Sun Jul 23 14:38:02 EDT 2017

Mr.  Shelstraw raises an excellent point. I believe there are still personages on this list that remember 20 years ago when I said: “This test is silly”. And suggested bringing in a ‘voicecorder’.
The same thing they use for bank vaults and CIA headquarters. Is that instrument a spectral analysis device? That would kill this whole enchilada. And here’s why.

26 years ago I selected 2 chromatics at a fest. I played 6 of the SAME model. Placed them in group(s) of 2, 2, 1 & 1. Then I chose  one because of the sound. The second
I chose because the tone was the best BUT the slide action was second best. Of the six, three sounded close to each other, and the other three sounded  differently..but also
similar to each other. I brushed the two groups of two aside, and purchased two. A top pro was witnessing this and agreed with my purchase.

I came away with the theory that NO TWO harmonicas sound exactly the same. Even from the same manufacturer, identical model. Yes, the differences may be slight, But they
are there. And I’m not arguing that comb material(s) necessarily make a difference. What I think is that the player FEELS a difference. In their mouth. And isn’t that what it’s all
about... Alfie...with a mouth actuated instrument? Perhaps it was reed gapping? Perhaps it was reed tolerance.

When cutting close fitting parts, the operator will ask you “What’s the tolerance? plus or minus? Now if you were to say 1/1ooo, here’s what you get. Reed slots may be right on the money but the reeds are 1ooo
OVER. OR the reeds may be on the money but the slots may be 1ooo UNDER. OR worst case scenario, the slots it can be a combination of both. Both being over sized, both being undersized.
Just a few cerebrum drippings.

sm0joe