[Harp-L] Roy Hargrove solo cover

Michael Rubin michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxx
Fri Dec 22 07:59:11 EST 2017

Sounds great!

This presents a name dropping opportunity!

I ws in Tel Aviv in a music club.  I noticed a bunch of people were trying
to get in the club but the doorman would not let them in.  I went up
close.  It was Roy Hargrove and friends!  They were trying to get in free.
I let the doorman know who he was and they got let in.

The band called both me and Hargrove up at once, so I got to play with him!

The following week I was home in Austin and by coincidence he was playing
here.  I went and spoke to him after the show.  I said, "Remember me?  I
played with you in Israel last week?"  He said, "And now you're here."

To be honest, that sentence could be read a multitude of ways but coupled
with his delivery I smelled something snarky about it as if he was saying,
"That may be amazing to you, but it is nothing to me.".  My reading of it
has always colored my feelings about him as a person, but he is a great
player and the performance of the whole band was mind blowing.

Michael Rubin
michaelrubinharmonica.com