[Harp-L] Gaskets?

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Mon Aug 28 17:01:26 EDT 2017

Reducing leakage in a harmonica does improve performance.  However, gasketing isn’t a very effective way to do it. In the vast majority of cases, leakage under the reedplate is minuscule compared to leakage through the opening reeds in a diatonic or through the slide in a chromatic. Although gasketing may reduce leakage by a tiny amount, the % reduction of total leakage is imperceptible.

After I have gone to the  trouble and expense of gasketing, if I wish and expect to hear/feel an improvement,  I will.  Alas, it is my pareidolia and confirmation bias at work.  This isn’t a character flaw but human nature.  My car runs better when the windshield is clean.  I like Coors beer because it is made with rocky mountain spring water.  I use Ivory soap because it is 99.44% pure.  Etc…………  The thing operated on hasn’t changed, but my subjective perception of it has.

Placing gaskets under the plate is like weatherstripping the windows in a room with an open doorway.

Why bother?

Vern