[Harp-L] Gaskets?

Richard Hunter rhunter377@xxxxx
Mon Aug 28 16:00:40 EDT 2017

"Aongus Mac Cana" wrote:
<I would be interested to hear the experiences of others who might have
tried
<this. Maybe I need to make the acquaintance of "Dee"

I used micropore tape gaskets for years, and I agree with Rick Epping:
they're not a good thing.  They trap a lot of crud in the instrument, and
you can't clean them up without replacing them.  On plastic combs, they
leave a residue of adhesive that interferes with solid contact between comb
and plate once removed.  In other words, the improved performance they
deliver is not worth the trouble they cause.

Dee's gaskets are another story entirely.  They go in clean and stay
clean.  They've improved the performance of my Seydel Session Steels--less
harsh and more even response--for a very reasonable price in terms of money
and effort.

I think it's worth the $5 it costs for a set of these gaskets to try them
if you're at all curious about how they might affect your harps.

Regards, Richard Hunter

--
Check out our 21st Century rock harmonica record "The Lucky One" at
https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardhunter

Author, "Jazz Harp" (Oak Publications, NYC)