[Harp-L] Questions on Bending/OB/OD and Scales/Music/TAB

Arthur Jennings arturojennings@xxxxx
Sun Apr 23 13:06:14 EDT 2017

Hi Leonard,

See my answers, below:

>> .         Bending Draw Notes (I assume that's normal bending on 1-6)
Yes, that is correct.

>> .         Bending Blow Notes??
Yes, you can bend the blow notes on holes 7 through 10 using a similar technique to your bends on the draw notes in holes 1 through 6. Note the the hole 7 blow bend, like the hole 5 draw bend, will not bend a full semitone.

>> .         Over Blowing (I assume that's bending while you blow??  1-6 or
>> other holes?)   Does it raise the pitch?   How does it work and how do I
>> know when the note is hit?   How to do it?
>>
>> .         Over Bends ???  (raise/lower pitch?   How to do it?)
>>
>> .         Over Draws ???     "         "              "              "
>> "
Overblows raise the pitch on blow holes 1-6; overdraws raise the pitch on draw holes 7-10. "Overbend" is another term for both techniques.

These are advanced techniques that involve choking the reed played while finessing the other reed in the chamber to sound at a higher pitch. Skilled overbenders can play complete chromatic scales on diatonic harmonicas.

>> .         Bent Notes (I assume same as Bending Blow Notes?)
Any note played "bent".

>> .         Draw Bends ??? same as Bending Draw Notes?
Yep.

>>                Scale Degrees (on C.. 1=C; 2=D; 3=E, etc)?
Yep.

>>                Harmonica TAB (1+ 2 2'', etc. as per music)

Not sure what this question means.

>>                Notes on staff (EGBDF, FACE... but when changing harp to A
>> HARP, do we still read the notes as EGBDF, etc.?   or, if reading music, do
>> we need to transpose in our head?)
Notes on the staff usually describe "concert pitch" (unless they are written for a transposing instrument such as trumpet). If you want to play in the key written on a different key harp, you need to transpose on the fly. If you're playing alone, you could just play as written and have the piece come out in a different key.

>>                Notes on scale (cdefgabc) but when changing harp (let's say
>> to A harp), once again, how to sight read the notes?   Or do we need to
>> write down the scale degrees? Or the TAB? Or??)
See previous question.