Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 133, Issue 22

Your reasoning is correct all the way down to your conclusion which is not:
Colder metal is stiffer.  Correct but you may have over-estimated the magnitude of the effect.
Stiffness resists movement. Correct.  Increasing the thickness of a reed near the rivet has the same effect.
However, a stiffer reed (e.g. thicker near the rivet) has a higher pitch.

Vern