Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Help with Chromatic repair

I have a belt sander that accumulates lots of really fine wood dust that I use mixed with (usually) regular wood glue. ÂIf I need a special color I can just sand a little off a sacrificial piece of wood, mix with epoxyÂand, viola! Âcustom filler.

Lockjaw Larry
Breathing dusty music daily

On Monday, January 20, 2014 12:44 PM, Joseph Leone <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jan 20, 2014, at 7:56 AM, harp wrote:

> All,
>
> Thanks for all the pointers. As the one who kicked off this thread, I
> want to share a
> few things.
>
> -Â As a diatonic player, buying a beater chromatic off of eBay was a great
> way for me to get my feet wet without having to spend well North of $100
> just to see what all the excitement is about having a button on the side
> of your harmonica.
> - As George pointed out, eBay is definitely a Åbuyer beware situation,
> and it has become much worse in recent years.
> -Â I repair my diatonics (thanks Harvey!), and am also a woodworker, so
> dealing with the cracked comb was not a big deal. Besides, The chromatic
> was cheap, so I consider it a throwaway. If I can fix it great. If not,
> then it becomes more parts in the drawer. But hey - IÂm a tinkerer. If
> you arenÂt, then as Rick said, a good harp tech is a wonderful thing. Not
> everyone enjoys fixing their own car either.
> -Â Just in case someone searches this thread in the future, I wanted talk
> for a moment about the repair I made. The comb had shrunk considerably
> horizontally - this is what caused it to crack vertically at the 10-hole.
> If I had taken the reed plates off and glued the comb together, the
> original nail holes would never have lined up with the holes in the reed
> plate. Instead, I used an old woodworkers trick. I mixed some
> carpenterÂs glue with sawdust. I needed a small tool to apply the glue to
> the crack without disassembling the comb, so I shaved down a toothpick
> with a sharp chisel - this made a perfect tiny spatula that I could use to
> press the glue into the crack from inside the comb holes without having to
> remove the reed plates. I filled the crack from one side until I saw glue
> coming out the other side of the comb (wide crack!). I let the glue dry
> for about 30 minutes and then trimmed off any excess glue with an x-acto
> knife.

This IS the way to do it. I have been working on a model boat for the last few weeks. Electric powered and radio controlled. I design my own boats. They are all plank on frame. I use the home made filler idea a lot. Recently put teak flooring in the house and saved half a bucket of sawdust. I then sift it in to 3 meshes. fine (through standard screen), ultra fine (through filter screen) and ultra ultra (through cheesecloth). Some is like talc. I mix it with epoxy and use it as putty. But have used regular furniture glue too.

smo-joe