Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Help with Chromatic repair

Hi Rick:

Forgive me if I misread your post. I'm unsure if you're disagreeing with my
 mention of the diatonic-heavy composition of Harp-l vis-a-vis
Slidemeister? This  is simply fact.

You're not alone though--MANY others play a chromatic while being
predominantly a diatonic player and post on harp-l, but the dialogue  is and has
been over the years naturally diatonic and blues-heavy. There's  nothing
remotely wrong with this and that wasn't my implication. It's  harp-l, after all.
I would contend that there has been a bit more chromatic  talk over the past
couple of years than ever before--but I also remember  the days when
someone like Smokey or Winslow would attempt to  discuss something chromatic with
almost no responses. Just  how it works on a mostly diatonic forum. Harp-l
people are primarily  interested in Blues, amps, gear, Blues, mics, gigs,
Blues, etc. ;) As times  change and new people arrive, then topics can and do
evolve.

I would point out that many of the very same chromatic players who comprise
 the knowledgeable sources here also post on Slidemeister. It's an
invaluable  site for chromatic players wanting to derive all the information they
need  without wading through tons of diatonic discussion. I get this list in
digest  form..trust me, it is 'tons'. ;)

In fact many of the diatonic players here also belong to MBH (Adam Gussow's
 free-wheeling forum), and there are more diatonic sites and blogs one  can
possibly keep up with out there on facebook and the internet.  Imho harp-l
is the best of them all. Obviously we do get posters here from  the NHL in
Britain, people like you from Australia and everywhere else around  the
Globe, as does Slidemeister. My point was purely that this particular topic  is
covered there in depth and from many different points of view, rather  than
an occasional mention with only a handful of responses. Since  Slidemeister
went to a different style of forum a couple of years ago the topics  are
always still available to be picked up on even years later, something I
appreciate in particular--although I simply haven't had much time lately to post
there.

I certainly wasn't denigrating Harp-l and hope it didn't come across that
way. If it did, my sincere apologies. I wouldn't still be here posting
after 9 years if I didn't more than appreciate this forum and feel strongly
about supporting it. Harp-l was my first introduction to the harmonica
world--and the method by which I met and became good friends with so  many good
people (Jason Ricci, Smokey, Winslow, Bobbie, Michelle, Tom Stryker,  George,
etc.) whom I met and got to know personally and am still good  friends with
today...then SPAH where I met people like Phil and Val and the  Filisko crew
among so many amazing people who did all the behind-the-scenes  work I
couldn't possibly name them all, and it'll always mean  something very special to
me. :)

Merely clarifying the situation if there was any doubt.

As to repair-people, you're absolutely correct, Rick. We're blessed  with
several and THEY are the same names one can find listed with addresses  on
Slidemeister as well: Quel Surprise! I'd personally highly recommend George
Miklas (who beautifully retuned my Hammond 44 (Suzuki) Melodeon at GSHC -
when  no one else had yet taken one apart); Mike Easton, whom I know to be a
brilliant  innovator and repair guy--who's currently building a
state-of-the-art workshop;  Chris Reynolds whose combs are stunning and gorgeous; Joe Pic
(Piccirilli(sp))  who posts photos of his work on Slidemeister: his
custom-made chromatics are to  drool over; and so many more American and European
customizers. Tom Halchak  makes the most beautiful diatonic combs and is
fabulous to deal with--unsure if  he does chromatics. The Filisko crew too, of
course but I'm not sure if any of  them are able to take on chromatics at the
moment: one would need to contact  them (Jimmy Gordon and Richard Sleigh)
directly. The diatonics I got from Jimmy  are superb. There are so many more
people I can't think of because it's late and  I'm tired. Now that the gig
list is gone we should at least do a  'repair/customizer' list and publish it
periodically.  Naturally, we tend  to think of those in our own neck of the
woods--but I do think there might just  be more British/European
customizers/repair guys out there than Americans.

Best, Elizabeth

Re. Elizabeth's comments about the diatonic-heavy-chromatic-light nature of
 harp-l:
Just for the record, as a long time lister on harp-l, I play chromatic
(badly) as well as diatonic, and have had to fix the things over the years.
Occasionally (when I could afford it) I'd send them off for repair.
Re-valving, tuning, occasionally replacing a reed were bearable. Trying to
fix a broken comb, then trying to re-attach the plates to the
comb was difficult. I ended up drilling and tapping the plates and using
screws to hold it together.
If you like doing this stuff, great.If you don't, then you have to pay
someone.
A good harp tech is a wonderful thing.

RD