Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Help with Chromatic repair

All,

Thanks for all the pointers.  As the one who kicked off this thread, I
want to share a
few things.

-  As a diatonic player, buying a beater chromatic off of eBay was a great
way for me to get my feet wet without having to spend well North of $100
just to see what all the excitement is about having a button on the side
of your harmonica.
-  As George pointed out, eBay is definitely a Œbuyer beware¹ situation,
and it has become much worse in recent years.
-  I repair my diatonics (thanks Harvey!), and am also a woodworker, so
dealing with the cracked comb was not a big deal. Besides, The chromatic
was cheap, so I consider it a throwaway.  If I can fix it great.  If not,
then it becomes more parts in the drawer.  But hey - I¹m a tinkerer.  If
you aren¹t, then as Rick said, a good harp tech is a wonderful thing.  Not
everyone enjoys fixing their own car either.
-  Just in case someone searches this thread in the future, I wanted talk
for a moment about the repair I made.  The comb had shrunk considerably
horizontally - this is what caused it to crack vertically at the 10-hole.
If I had taken the reed plates off and glued the comb together, the
original nail holes would never have lined up with the holes in the reed
plate.  Instead, I used an old woodworkers trick.  I mixed some
carpenter¹s glue with sawdust.  I needed a small tool to apply the glue to
the crack without disassembling the comb, so I shaved down a toothpick
with a sharp chisel - this made a perfect tiny spatula that I could use to
press the glue into the crack from inside the comb holes without having to
remove the reed plates.  I filled the crack from one side until I saw glue
coming out the other side of the comb (wide crack!).  I let the glue dry
for about 30 minutes and then trimmed off any excess glue with an x-acto
knife.  I may find out with time that this was not the best way to fix
this instrument, but for now, it plays 100% better and the crack is
repaired.

Lastly, whether it is Harp-L, MBH or Slidemeister, I have found the
harmonica forums to be an invaluable resource.  Not just for tips on
repairs or for suggestions on how to play better, but also for the friends
I have made who share my enjoyment of the instrument.  Thanks to you all.

Brad