Subject: [Harp-L] Help with Chromatic repair

In all honesty, Brad--harp-l is probably 90% heavy with diatonic players
although there are quite a few chromatic players who post and read this list
who  also post on Slidemeister. However that list is the opposite: 90%
chromatic  players who devote ALL of their time in discussion about the
attributes,  maintenance and repair of just the instruments you describe. If there
isn't a  current discussion going on, one will be easily found in their never
closed  topics. Check here: _www.slidemeister.com/forums/_
(http://www.slidemeister.com/forums/)  -

 in fact I just looked and here's one particular page from someone  with a
similar problem to yours (since you can't do a more direct search without
signing up):

http://www.slidemeister.com/forums/index.php?topic=9549.0

there's lots more.
If you DO decide to sign up to Slidemeister, tell AJ (Fedor) that I
suggested you join.

Elizabeth

PS: Winslow gave you most of the same suggestions I planned to--not to
totally dismantle the chromatic without using carpenter's glue to fix the
crack,  then reattaching the one removed plate before taking off the  other to
complete the repair. If BOTH plates are removed  initially, the wood expands
preventing the nails or screws from lining up in the  wood comb again. There
are several YouTube videos demonstrating how to go about  this kind of
repair as well.

PPS: MY simpler solution would be to purchase a relatively inexpensive
entire chromatic off EBay (first ensuring the comb was intact)and  breaking it
down for parts. You might be surprised by just how inexpensive  they can be
gotten for.The Seller is required to answer your question honestly.  So ask
if the wood back has any lines or cracks. If so, it runs through the body
as Winslow described.

PPPS: Betty Romel is still selling (afaik) her late husband Bill's
self-stick windsavers. Danny G of New Harmonica also sells some. Discussion of
where to get the tubing too for bumpers has been talked about on  Slidemeister.

"Message: 11