Re: [Harp-L] swingin 16ths

Jon Kip copy and pasted my explanation of swung 8ths.  Then he said:

"Lots of people can swing, and NONE of them learned it by reading words.
Words will not work."

I am not sure if he was pointing this only at me, because lots of us were
using words to explain swing eight notes.   It feels like he is arguing
with me.

First off, John, I want to say I generally love your posts and feel like
you are miles ahead of me on the same path.  I have recently begun
transcribing and playing jazz solos note for note in an effort learn to
play jazz from by ear and not by theory.  I have spent lots of time
learning jazz theory and my jazz solos sound in tune, but don't have the
feeling of real jazz.  I spent years transcribing blues solos and I like
the way I play blues, so I thought I would apply the same concept to jazz.
I feel you are really doing great work on your jazz studies and want to
work with you whenever we meet.

But I have disagreement with your statement.

Although I definitely agree that many people learn to swing by listening
and imitation, I feel it is a sweeping generalization to say everyone
learned that way. Obviously you have not interviewed every swinging
musician.

I believe many people had the concept described to them in words.  Then
they were able to understand the basic concept and when listening were able
to hear a swung 16th note and say, "Hey that sounds like a swung 16th
note.  If I focus on listening and imitating this part of the song,  I'll
get better at swung 16ths."  But without the original worded description,
they would not get to that point.

Next, I believe you are very close to prescribing the "Just feel it, man"
method of education.  I have gone to a lot of music seminars and taken lots
of private lessons and been on the receiving end of the "Just feel it,
man." method from my teachers, and watched others receive the same
treatment.

It always makes me feel as they are condescending to me.  Why can't you
just get it?  Everyone else can.  Well, if I could just get it, I wouldn't
be going to a teacher.  In fact when I receive the "Just feel it, man"
speech once too often, I find another teacher.

You also said,

"Some people never get it"

As a teacher, I cannot accept this answer.  I believe different people
learn differently and it is my job to find how that particular person
learns.  I have taught many people to swing by playing and having them
imitate and many by using words.

Personally, on an internet forum that mostly uses typed words for
communication, I find words to be one of the best methods of getting an
idea across.
Michael Rubin
michaelrubinharmonica.com