RE: [Harp-L] Strep and Harmonica Cleaning

Some bacteria do indeed form resistant spores but Streptococcus is not one of them. They will survive only if they find a suitable growth medium and enough water.  I suppose the inside of a dirty harmonica could conceivably provide such conditions. The answer is to clean your harmonicas and allow them to dry thoroughly. Isopropyl alcohol will kill Streptococci, so give your mouthpieces a good wipe and don't allow gunk to build up. Unvalved harmonicas that are all metal and plastic can be washed in warm soapy water, rinsed, shaken out and allowed to dry. A clean, dry harmonica left unplayed for two or three days will be perfectly OK. You'll be as safe as houses if you do that.