Re: [Harp-L] recommendations for an all in one effects unit

Low and behold, I've owned a VHT too.  I have a pretty strong opinion on
this too, but if I am going to have to mic a small amp to hear it, and I am
getting a small amp because of portability, size, and cost, I'd go with a
pedal board in lieu of an amp.  I did this all already...I played with a
VHT miked and a M13.

http://youtu.be/CF-yMpwcFiw

http://youtu.be/XPR71UXegKU (not me singing)

Bottom line was I still needed a vocal monitor, still used a pedal board,
and then had to lug the amp, mic, and stand.

In theory, you can get a DT, Richard's patches, and a keyboard amp to run
the rig (see his site) and be covered nearly all the time.  Here's a clip
of a RP255 with one of his patches straight to my desktop mixer.
http://youtu.be/4IVwJmfODSU

IME, using a Fireball or maybe a SM57-ish mic work best in regards to
managing volume and feedback with a band.  Why I ultimatley, twice, moved
away form the RP stuff was due to tweakability live.  I found my Tech 21
Para DI and M9 to work better.   That is a costly rig, though.  Over the
last year or so, I've hardly gigged at all, failed to get into home
recording, and decided to put my energy into other avenues.

In doing so, I tried to unload a lot of my "extra" gear and go pretty
barebones.  While not the cheapest route, I would be content doing pickup
gigs and recording with simply the Zoom G5 as it is very easy to edit on
the fly and the layout involves less scrolling than the RP stuff.  It
covers amped tones and effects well.  That and my Ultimate 57 would allow
me to go back in time and do all the gigs I've ever done while being
content save potential feedback issues based on how loud former bands
played.

Flashing forward, I have three live projects in the mix that all came to me
at the same time.  I am insisting to myself that I have to be able to set
up and tear down quickly.  The G5 meets that criteria.  I put together a
Lone Wolf Board mostly because I got great deals on the pedals, had the
Nano already, and sold off most my old PA gear to more than fund the
purchase of a pedal or two, lol.  I am not sure if I'll use it a lot or
not.  Heck, I have a great wireless, but it is 12v and would require a
bigger board, so I am not even using that.

I have had, and will continue to have, a rig based off of "modern" gear,
but I want it to be small and easy to use LIVE.  Generally, I use my PA
when gigging, and that means I also need to have room for a mixer and light
controller.  I went through my stuff last night and was still crabby about
the space it takes up and trips needed to load in and out, lol.  I did,
though, find a way to mount the mixer to my harp stand and the light
controller to my vocal stand.

Mike Fugazzi
vocals/harmonica
http://www.mikefugazzi.com