Re: [Harp-L] Harp-L] Toots

It is true that Toots used to use an SM58 in the past, but for several
years now he had been using Audix Fireball-V. This microphone is specially
built for harmonica.  The manufacturers built a special Toots model with a
volume knob on the mic and I believe this can also be ordered by anybody. I
have attended several Toots concerts over the last ten years and I noticed
that he has been using the Audix Fireball. In his live concerts his
Engineer knows exactly what EQ setup is required. I have also seen one of
the very talented jazz harmonica players Wim Dijkgraaf using Audix. With
his own EQ setup and of course with his brilliant playing technique he
sounds terrific.
A few years back a similar discuassion took place in Harp-L. The subject
was "How does Toots record his harmonica". If you do a Google search you
will find the thread. It also discusses his recording technique.

Gautam