From: Mike Fugazzi <mikefugazzi@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: info <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>; icemanle <icemanle@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, Sep 27, 2012 3:50 pm
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Miles Davis

I would say that is true of just about any musician.  Tying in to the emotion comments this week, that can be spun too.  You can say that a person has their own voice and that comes through no matter what they play OR that they stink because they sound the same no matter what they play over.

FWIW, I contend most players have very limited vocabularies when improvising and quickly end up playing the same things over and over.  We give them a free pass when we like them (they have a voice!) and then slam them when we don't like it (same thing all the time is boring).  Exceptions can be made when they change contexts - like they have a typical 1st position solo, or some different chormatic riffs.  Really, though, after a few listens, most musicians' improvisations just repeat to a large extent with the chunks of phrases mixed around.